Friday, October 31, 2008

The Selfish Mom

Little Moo woke last night crying. He usually is a pretty good sleeper but has had an ear infection so I wanted to be sure he didn't need some medicine. When I went in, he stood up. I picked him up and it was clear all he needed was a hug, but I was selfish, I offered to rock him for a few minutes. I was The Selfish Mom. Why would it be selfish to rock your 2 year old in the middle of the night? Because he simply needed to be righted in his crib, re-covered, and pat his back and he would have gone to right to sleep. But I was willing to rock him for some extra cuddle time. Considering I stay home all day with him it could be assumed I get enough Little Moo time, but that is simply not true. I am greedy and steal any mommy moments I can because as he gets older I know there will be fewer. I doubt you can "stock up" on stolen moments, but I will take them when I can get them. To be honest, with the exception of when he is REALLY sick and inconsolable, I don't mind getting up with him, even if we don't end up rocking. Because as wonderful cuddling and rocking with him is, it just as nice to snuggle him into bed and in his half sleepy voice say "I love you mommy" in the dark and quiet of his room. It is about that time that my heart usually bursts and I can't help but smile. Definitely worth getting out of bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment