Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Dr. Seuss Party-rific!!!

This past weekend we celebrated Little Moo’s 5th and Littlest Moo’s 1st Birthday with a Dr. Seuss Party. We had a fantastic time! I’m pretty sure this is the most planning and decorating I’ve ever done for a birthday party so I thought I’d share!

Let’s start with the invitation

boysinvitation

I’m particularly proud of these as it took me HOURS to figure out how to use paint.net, but I learned a lot. In the past I have made the invitations by hand, and I will probably do that again in the future, but this was the best way to incorporate the characters. As would be predicted, after I finished these and sent them out various crafts stores started having Dr. Seuss displays with all kinds of fun stickers that of course would have come in handy to make them by hand. But hey, it forced me to learn how to use image editing software for which I am grateful!

And of course what is a party without food!

026

Thing 1 and Thing 2 cupcakes! This was my first attempt at making my own frosting and using cake decorating tools. It is not the most delectable baked good I’ve ever made, but they turned out cute and fortunately when you’ve put a lot of work into something most people won’t spit it out in front of you and tell you how terrible they are. I will believe that they were good!

056

Multicolored goldfish are always a hit with kiddos!

059

Pink Ink Yink Drink anyone?

138

Yummy pasta salad from my brother’s girlfriend!

133

In addition we had Brown Barbaloot Truffula fruit (grapes, strawberries and watermelon), Broccoli Salad (which is so popular it never goes to waste and it made for all of family gatherings) , hot dogs, soda and chips.

Now for the decorations!

041

032

043

To decorate I just used some Dr. Seuss books that we have and set them up around the house as well as some wall decals that I purchased from a party store where I also found the Green Eggs and Ham balloons. I pulled the colors from the balloon to match. Dollar Tree is great for decorations as well as the dollar section at Target, they have great stuff!!! And in the living room we had the audio of Dr. Seuss stories playing in the background.

This is by far the most planning I have ever done for a party, coming in second to my wedding!  Some things the party didn’t have:

*expensive goody bags for the kids

*activities/games planned for the kids

*catered food or even fancy food

Guess what? I don’t think anyone noticed!!!! The kids had a great time playing in the bubbles (I set out a little bubble machine) and on the swing set and running around with each other and the adults. Sometimes all the fancy gets in the way of what is really important, celebrating!!!

And I think these kids had fun!

163

170

232

245

221

257

196

For those that say I could have done something better or it wasn’t big enough I kept coming across this quote while planning for this party and I think it is perfect

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” ~ Dr. Seuss

This is who we are! Nothing fancy about us but we sure know how to have fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment