Friday, May 13, 2011

The Grass IS Greener on the Other Side!

We all know the saying “the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence” meaning that whatever we have it always seem like someone has it better and the lesson of course is that we should appreciate what we have. And let me just say I very much appreciate everything I have and when I find the little green monster rearing its ugly green head I have the clarity to see that everything has a price and not always monetarily. But I digress because in this case I am actually talking about grass.

065

This is our backyard from the furthest corner of our property. Sure from here it looks green. Okay so it is green, but is definitely not grass. Most people have grass with a couple weeds in it. We have LOTS of weeds with a little bit of grass in it.

052

Like this, what the hell is it? I certainly don’t know but it might bite you if you step on it.

054

See, green. Not grass. And these…

063

These are enough to make Zippercow’s eye twitch. We have fought valiantly every year, and someday our yard will be grass and not a carpet of weeds. Our neighbors have slowly filled us in on the details of this house as we get to know them. Apparently there was never even grass planted after the house was built (in the backyard that is) so any grass that is there is purely by accident. So yes, in our case the grass is actually greener on the other side of the fence. Mostly because they have it!

I long to be able to run through the grass with the kids in bare feet

images

without my foot being cut by some terrible weedy thing.  Oh yes, that actually happened to me in our very yard. Oh how I’d love to twirl in song with careless abandon much in the fashion of Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music. Of course my singing won’t be nearly (or at all) impressive but still…In the mean time we will cautiously wander through the mean green weeds of our backyard with steel shoes to protect our feet.

There is one thing that grows prolifically (other than weeds) in our yard

083

Rocks! That’s right, it is just about harvest time and it is a plentiful crop!

073

We will start taking orders May 16. No checks please!

2 comments:

  1. I am basically a sobbing mess on my couch right now--sobbing with laughter! Thank you so much for brightening my week with your wit, Mama Moo. :) Hopefully someday your Julie Andrews aspirations will come to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make me laugh, too! I'm familiar with the rock crop. The cool thing is they don't even need fertilizer, and the more freeze-thaw cycles you have in a winter, the bigger the crop!

    ReplyDelete