Friday, May 20, 2011

What’s with the pineapple???

018

Mmm…Pineapple!!! It is my second to favorite fruit (strawberries of course being number one) but it wasn’t until a couple summers ago that I attempted to chop one up myself. It does look quite intimidating, doesn’t it? Okay, so maybe I’m the only one afraid of a fruit, but we all know I’m little strange so no surprises!  For those of you that may know me it will be no surprise I’m not skilled at wielding a knife  and the combination of a dangerous fruit and knife wielding Mama Moo is quite disastrous. Do you have any idea how painful fresh pineapple juice is in a freshly cut thumb!?! Yikes!! I still have a scar even! It was bad enough that I have suffered some post traumatic stress and have been unable to cut into a pineapples since.

Until now!

Enter the pineapple slicer and corer. It was a Christmas gift from my brother and sister-in-law and I am in looove!

020

Did you know that such things existed? I knew it had to, how else could you purchase pineapples already sliced and cored? But I had been unable to find one at any of our regular haunts. My brother and sister-in-law rock!!!

So this is how it works

021

Oh so carefully cut the top off the pineapple. Be certain not to accidentally cut off any appendages.

023

Then just stick the little do-hickey in the top and spin. So simple even a culinary challenged individual such as myself can figure it out!

029

Just remove the top handle, turn upside down and your slices slide right off! Look Ma, I have all my fingers!!! The process even squeezes some juice out that stays in the bottom of the pineapple shell (?) that could make for a great beverage in a very fresh and summery drink holder! Last but not least (and this step is crucial)

032

Find and marry a swashbuckling, pirate of a husband who will grill ANYTHING you hand him!

If you haven’t had grilled pineapple, you should! Go! Do it now!!!

4 comments:

  1. Yum! Next time I come, will he grill me up a pineapple if I bring one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't even have to bring a pineapple, you just bring yourself and we'll provide the pineapple!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ended up with half a slab of an entire pineapple in my lunch last week because my husband had no idea how to cut it, LOL. This looks MUCH easier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, much easier! I love it sooo much. One of my favorite fruit utensils, right up there with the apple corer/slicer!

    ReplyDelete