Monday, August 12, 2013

Here We Grow!

I’ve decided I like to garden. It is rewarding to plant something and see it come to life. I mean sure, I grew a couple babies and continue to watch them grow, but it just takes SO LONG to see if they turn out well. One season with a garden and I get results much quicker. It is fun and frustrating and definitely a growing process. See what I did there? Stick around, I’ll be here all day!

Last year I started with this lonely flower box and one little veggie box.

022

021

Definitely small…and lonely. So we did this!

052

Zippercow built the awesome fence to keep little hands and a busy dog out. He used leftover pieces from last summer’s fence project and it turned out beautiful!

071

Then he made me another veggie box!

And I got to bust out some power tools for the first time and made a couple boxes to put raspberries in. Those are my yard sale raspberries. I plan to buy more next year!

069

I’m so incredibly excited to have everything finally growing. It was a really rough start (seems to be the theme in our home this year) and I had to regroup and replant most of it, but now we are reaping the rewards of our hard work!

070

Mmm…Spaghetti Squash.

075

Cucumbers!

073

066

Chamomile, tomatoes and beans (not pictured) oh my! We also have some green onions and bell peppers growing too. I’m so excited about all of it. Now I just have to maintain and harvest it!

Oh, and we can’t forget the flowers!

055058060062061068

I think the Zinnias (top right) are my favorite new flower of this season. They seriously last FOR-EV-ER in a vase. I’ve had some in my window sill for a couple weeks and they still look great! The lavender is great for that too.

*Sigh*

I definitely found a new hobby. And I love it.

So…what’s growing in your garden? What is your favorite thing from this season that you are growing? And if you aren’t growing a garden, tell me why, I love to hear from everyone!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite thing to grow is sugar peas, because I don't like peas, the little round green things. I like the sugar-sweet pods! So sweet and crunchy... I eat them right off the vine. They are some of the first plants up, they like the cool early spring weather, and if you don't pick them early enough to eat the tender pods, you can always shell them for folks who DO like the little round green things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like sugar-sweet pea pods and it turns out Zippercow can have those so guess what will be in our garden next year!

      Delete