Thursday, September 26, 2013

Laughter is the Best Medicine

Earlier this week Zippercow had himself a Colonoscopy. Fun, right? We were waiting (forever) for his “procedure” and cracking poop and butt jokes the entire time. We’re awesome like that. We didn’t hear much from the banks of curtained beds other than the occasional loud fart (oh it’s a blast you guys!) and nurses talking, oh and one really mean guy, but I’ll get to that. We, however, were laughing at ourselves and each other and joking with nurses.  I’m not sure how we sounded to other people but we thought we were a hoot. During this time I reflected briefly on our other visits to hospitals and realized this is what we do. We laugh. We try not to be nervous because it is what it is, we are there because we need to be there and at least we have each other.

Laughing is awesome.

I was glad I could be there for my husband to make him laugh. I’m glad that when my husband is hangry that he doesn’t yell at the nurses like the man a couple curtains down. That man yelled at the nurses about how long he had been waiting and that he hadn’t eaten and why do people get to go before him, and then when they apologized for his wait he told them “Don’t say your sorry, because I know you aren’t.” The nurse sounded close to tears and while we too were frustrated with the long wait we managed to refrain from making nurses cry and actually made some of them laugh along with us.

Sometimes I feel like we are absurd, that we could be obnoxious to others, laughing at times when others are so serious, but isn’t that when we need a laugh the most?

 

It really is, and I’m glad to have found someone to laugh with me.

2 comments:

  1. Other than the nasty prep time and stuff you have to drink, I look forward to the nice nap I get to take when they actually do their thing. I love your approach, we're stuck with it, why not make the most of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what we figure. I often get people asking me (or Zippercow) if we're nervous, but once the options have been weighed and the decision has been made being nervous does little to make you feel better, though it is possible that is where some of the laughter is coming from. But at least we're having good time, and I find the nurses are nicer when we are nice too!

    ReplyDelete