Tuesday, January 10, 2012

You’re No Good!

Have you ever gone through the day and realized that every product you are using is expired? Just typing it makes me think of terrible episodes of Hoarders. We’re not. Quite the opposite. Yet the other day I went to get a band-aid and some triple antibiotic ointment (Neosporin peeps, we rock it generic style)  for Little Moo and realized it had expired. In 2009. Crap, how long have we been using that?! The tube didn’t even have any dents in it! Okay so I know I have a tube of Bacitracin somewhere. Expired. Add it to the shopping list.

Later in that same day I noticed a small rash on Little Moo’s face so I went on search for some Hydrocortisone cream. Somehow we have multiples? I’m sure it was an occasion when we couldn’t find it because it wasn’t put back. Grrr  (oh wait, I left it out? Oops!) or we bought it when we were on a trip and added it to our collection. Either way, multiple, barely touched tubes…EXPIRED!  Ugh, okay add that to the shopping list.

Then in a act of chocolate desperation  I decided to try a mug cake only to discover my baking powder was…expired.  Add that to the shopping list.

Noticing a theme?

The same thing all week. Some random item I don’t use all that often I all of a sudden need and it is no longer good. Some of it expired for awhile. Yikes! It’s a miracle my family is alive, really.

                                                                    (Ron Leishman illustrations)

2 comments:

  1. We do that frequently...find that the ointment, sunblock, cold medicines, pantry items, etc are "dead" and barely used. It's a good thing that we don't need the First Aid type personal care products that much, right? Meh? I figure if something doesn't smell/taste/look/feel bad then it can't be bad to use? Sure, might not be as effective, but it still MIGHT have SOME effectiveness? Sure, that's my lazy Meh view on things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, for most of those things I suppose I am grateful we aren't tapping out tubes of generic first aid cream. It means the kids (or the grown ups) aren't hurt. However it IS frustrating to make a batch of cookies only to discover the baking soda is expired. FAIL.

    ReplyDelete