Thursday, April 7, 2011

My $.02

Sadly I have been in a bit of a coupon funk. Trying to catch the sales and not planning it correctly. Sure I’m saving money, but not doing as well as I would like, especially since some of the stuff ends up being just stockpile, not things we need right away.  Saving money for our family is part of my job and frankly right now I am not doing a very well at it.

index

Yep, incase you didn’t know I am one of those people. Scary, I know! My friends kind of roll their eyes when I mention coupons, but what is so terrible about saving money? Then I watched an older episode of Extreme Couponing on TLC.

images1

Holy Cow! I am not one of THOSE people. Sure if you have a large family it makes sense to shop like that because you are going to go through it all (hopefully) but when you have enough deodorant to last the average adult 150 years? I think you actually have a shopping/ hoarding problem.

images

Nope, I don’t take my family out dumpster diving either.

Yes I use coupons to get good great deals, but our food fits in our cupboards and our toiletries fit in our bathroom. I buy ahead so that if we don’t have to buy it at full price (or at least I try to stay that far ahead) but none of the stockpile I buy resides in large quantities in our garage…wait. Okay so maybe when there is a spectacular sale on goldfish crackers or chips there is one shelf in our garage (ONE shelf in a cabinet) that the overflow goes on. But it also allowed us to not have to go grocery shopping after we had Littlest Moo for awhile, except basic perishables. No rooms dedicated to stockpiles we could never possibly use. We use coupons to get the things we need or can use. What the people in these shows are doing is making couponing look like it is only done by crazy people, that it is too much work. It isn’t. Clearly if you don’t already use them even  just matching a few with good sales will still save you money. My shopping usually involves a little more planning. But what are these people stockpiling for? Seriously a childless couple does not need more than what could stock a small convenience store for a couple months. One of the guys on the show donated I think 1,000 boxes of cereal which was great and he ordered ahead for it but when you empty the shelves to buy large quantities of things that you already have stockpiled it just means that another family who may actually need that deal to make it by won’t get any. Come on people, don’t ruin it for everyone else!

images2

Try some couponing etiquette or even just some common sense, what are you really going to do with that many toothbrushes?

No comments:

Post a Comment