Saturday, March 5, 2011

That’s Right, We Build Our Furniture

Every time we need a new piece of furniture we spend tons of time looking at the selection of build it yourself furniture. And every time I say to Zippercow that someday we will be grown up enough to buy furniture that we don’t have to assemble ourselves. But lets be honest, that will probably never happen. In the end the stuff you build yourself is just more affordable AND we don’t have to worry about if it will fit through the doorway to get it in the house. But most important of all is it is family friendly furniture. By that I mean it holds up to the  abuse children inevitably inflict upon it, and because it isn’t uber solid wood, I won’t have a heart attack every time a hot wheel screeches across it. Because lets face it with two boys everything (much to my dismay) is a hot wheel highway. So unless it is padded furniture it is probably some form of Sauder brand furniture or something from Ikea. And since we so rarely have to opportunity to visit Ikea, it more often then not is some variety of Sauder.

On this occasion we are in need of a computer desk.  Our current one has been broken for awhile and I’ve been waiting for it to collapse causing all sorts of doom. But in the spirit of organizing we thought we’d get a new desk so I can get on with the organizing of our office space in our room. And instead of putting shelves up over the desk we opted for one with a hutch. So while Zippercow is putting all of this desk together I am writing this post. Sure I could be helping him but I’ve learned that unless he asks for the help it is just best to stay out of his way. And weirdly enough I can’t wait to get to organizing the desk area. Strange I know! It has been so overwhelmingly terrible that I’ve avoided doing anything in our room so as to avoid the tragedy that had befallen our room, the office space.  Nothing really had a place, so just pile it here, and the like. But disaster no more! In just a few short….hours the desk will be complete and I can breath a sigh of relief. Aahh….

ikeavj5

Are we alone here? Does anyone else pretend to be a carpenter and screw together inexpensive assembly required furniture?

1 comment:

  1. You know we do sis..I am married to an Ikea fanatic so we are constantly assembling something. I'll take the screw together stuff over ikea assembly any day.

    ReplyDelete